If there’s one thing I know about potatoes it is that King Edward is the best potato for roasting. IMHO. I have spent the last few years moaning about the size of those that come in the supermarket bags. Too small and what a pain they are to peel. So I took matters into my own hands and bought a few to grow. Here’s the result.
As you can see I did no better than the supermarket buyers. But worse is to come. I don’t grow many potatoes but I like to have a few varieties. The mix this year was Arran Pilot, Belle de Fontenay, Ratte, King Edward and Pink Fir Apple. I buy them loose, filling up a bag and separating each variety with a slip of paper. I chitted them and planted out the first and second earlies in a raised bed. The King Edward and Pink Fir Apple went into the ground in a separate bed. Arran Pilot did well but was not very interesting. Belle de Fontenay was a joy and is definitely on the list for next year. Ratte was a strange one. Good taste but surprisingly floury for a new potato. It did very well as a crushed new potato. But how would the King Edwards turn out. After several weeks of rain I finally got round to lifting the main crop. The King Edwards did not look like King Edwards at all. In fact they looked suspiciously like a new potato with a nice looking shape. It very slowly and painfully dawned on me that I had mixed up my potatoes and had been happily digging up the King Edwards throughout August and subjecting them to large amounts of mayonnaise or butter and chives. The shame of it! Thankfully I had a few left in the fridge which will be getting a good roasting very soon. There is more to share.
Now on to the results of the ‘main crop’. The result is sadly very pathetic. There were only a handful of Pink Fir Apple and barely more than that from the mislocated Ratte. The size is tiny. The upside is I don’t have to peel them and there is the chance for one more potato salad. Barring the Arran Pilot I will grow these varieties again next year. I will keep improving the soil and will try to water more often. Maybe results will be better. Who knows?
Happily other things in the garden are doing well and have benefited from the October rain. The hydrangea has put out several new blooms, they are such generous flowerers when the conditions are right.
I have a second flush of delphinium flowers. This is my reward for cutting them back as soon as they had finished flowering. Those that I didn’t get round too quite so quickly have not delivered and who can blame them.
Sometime ago I whined about the zinnias being late but they arrived and have been amazing. The bees still have something to come into the garden for and the colour is beautiful. If I remember rightly these came from a free packet of seeds. A bargain and a definite for next year.
Last week I said I would be optimistically looking at my sweet peas to see if they had germinated. I sowed the left over seeds from this year and some I had from a few years ago. Last week they had just broken the surface and this week they are an inch or two high. Time for tough love, they have been removed from the sunny windowsill and placed in the greenhouse. Overnight temperatures there dropped to five degrees one night this week.
Thanks to Mr P for starting this meme off. It works for me and if you are tempted to join in then take a look at the participant guide on The Propagator’s site. I’m hoping to plant some more bulbs this weekend. Let’s hope I can tell my onions from my daffs!